Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Great Divorce & 1984

Finished Watership Down while I was in Michigan, and LOVED it.  The end is so exciting.  I also have a strange affinity for rabbits and other rodents now.

In the spirit of reading old classics, I just finished The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis and am now reading 1984 by George Orwell.  They both show the world through a dreary lens, which makes for interesting train commutes.  When I stop reading and step out onto the concrete, underground platform, I wonder if this is what they envisioned when they depicted Hell or Hell-like scenery.

The Great Divorce made me want to change my life for the better, as all C.S. Lewis books do!  I highly recommend if you're feeling undisciplined in your Christian life.  I sometimes feel that I let myself go in that respect...especially when I travel.  These books bring me back.

1984 is great, although draining.  I'll let you know how it goes when I finish it.

1 comment:

t. said...

1984 scared me so bad that I joined Big Brother. Hm. Odd? What do you think of it?