Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Electric Question One

As I am not entirely sure who is still wanting to read Electric Michelangelo, or who is even reading this blog in general - I decided I could at least have a conversation with myself. The first portion of the story involves a young boys coming of age at a seaside town. I especially find it easy to become absorbed in the coming of age because the author is a woman and the voice of the boy still feels authentic. 

So my question, even if you have not read any pages, is what is your own favorite coming of age story?

1 comment:

t. said...

i havent started yet! (moving is not an excuse, but, well...)

coming of age. hmm. i wonder if i have achieved that yet.

perhaps my favorite is holly golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's. her character seemed to have many comings of an age. the first was when she married extremely young to help the doctor raise his family, and then she left him to find herself in the 'big city.' im sure that was when she had her loss of innocence, sexual coming-of-age, what have you. but the development she makes emotionally at the end is my favorite. the rain, the cat, the love - pure magic for our dear little holly.

let me tell you my first experience with adulthood: i was in 4th grade, and my parents took me to see Phantom of the Opera performed in what i remember to be near-Broadway scale in the large city neighboring our own. at the end, i had a few tears on my cheek and explained to my dad that raoul didnt love christine as passionately as phantom did, so clearly, she was breaking his heart and mine too as a result.

my dad explained to me, as if he had expected my reaction and come prepared: "well, raoul had more money and was better looking. that's how life goes."